The ThunderDragon has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, please visit
http://thethunderdragon.co.uk
and update your bookmarks/blogroll.

07 April 2007

Organised Religion Is Past Its Sell-By Date

The [Catholic] Archbishop of Birmingham, the Most Rev Vincent Nichols claims that Britain is becoming "aggressively antireligious," that the government is neglecting "moral values" which should form the bedrock of society. The Archbishop says that "[t]here is a version of secularism going around which is antireligious, which wants to banish religion from [the political] public forum... [which is] shortsighted and troublesome." All of this because religion forms the "bedrock for good humanity".

I disagree. Organised religion is no longer central to morality or humanity. Like slavery and the Age of Empire, it had to exist, and then end. It has already outlived its usefulness.

That is why congregations keep shrinking. Only 10% of Britons go to Church weekly, less than 15% (1 in 7) go once a month, and only a third have been in the last year. And yet 53% apparently call themselves "Christian" - but this is down from 75% in 2001!

Society has moved on from organised religion. We no longer want to be told want to think. I know that I do not want to be preached to by someone who bases everything they say on the Bible. And I especially detest it when people pronounce some verse from the Bible and expect the validity of their argument to accepted there and then. As a historical source, the Bible is ridiculously unreliable. It has been through hundreds, if not thousands, of translations and interpretations. And even when "new" it was not a fax from God, but written by men, fallible men, however "holy" they may have been.

But back to the point. Organised religion no longer has any real part to play in British life. Hence why congregations keep shrinking, and less and less people call themselves "Christian". Faith, however, is a different thing. Faith can be good for people, but it should be on a personal level, not mediated through a priest (who is elevated to his position by men) who interprets the sacred text (which was written by men) or even through a sacred text alone. Society has changed from a time when that was necessary or beneficial.

This is why I find Archbishop Nichols comments so offensive. He is claiming that we need religion to be a moral person, and that religion is the basis of humanity. Well, it's not, Archbishop. Look at the atrocities that have been perpetrated in the name of religion - witch burnings, genocide, forced conversions and, of course, numerous wars. I challenge you to name on war in which religion did not play a part. Yes, it was very rarely a primary reason, but it has always been there as an excuse or justification.

Morality, ethics, and humanity do not rely on religion. Organised religion has done what it can, what it was meant to. Now it is time for it to die out. I doubt faith will, but the organised, official parts of religion will. And should. The sooner the better.

Note: My religious views are simply - I don't know, and I don't care. I am not at any point in my life in which I am bothered about it. I am not militantly atheist, and I am not anti-faith. But organised religion is an anachronism.

Sources: The Times, Daily Mail, BBC - article 1, article 2

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro
Extensively edited for this blog by ThunderDragon
eXTReMe Tracker